Glasshouse Country
© Bob Waldock
Landsborough     was     named     for     the     British     born     explorer     William Landsborough,   who   was   the   first   European   to   cross   Australia   north   to south.   The   earliest   European   settlers   arrived   in   the   area   in   1871.   Originally called   Mellum   Creek   (mellum   is   Aboriginal   for   volcano),   it   dates   from   1871 when   Isaac   Burgess   erected   a   slab   hut   with   a   bark   roof   as   "port   of   call"   for the   Cobb   &   Co   coaches   stopping   for   refreshments   and   a   change   of   horses on   their   way   to   and   from   the   Gympie   goldfields   to   the   north.   The   Mellum Creek    Post    Office    opened    on    23    January    1881.    It    was    renamed Landsborough Post Office in 1890. In   1912,   the   town   became   the   administrative   centre   for   the   Landsborough Shire    after    separating    from    the    Caboolture    Shire.    Landsborough    Shire merged into the City of Caloundra in 1968. The   Landsborough   School   of   Arts   Memorial   Hall   was   celebrated   with   a stump   capping   ceremony   on   24   November   1923   involving   Member   of   the Queensland   Legislative Assembly   for   Murrumba,   Richard   Warren.   The   hall was   officially   opened   on   4   May   1924   by   Queensland   Governor,   Matthew Nathan. In   the   past,   Landsborough   was   one   of   the   larger   towns   of   the   Sunshine Coast    hinterland    due    to    its    large    logging    industry.    By    comparison, Caloundra   was   just   a   small   coastal   fishing   village   to   its   east,   as   opposed   to the large and very popular tourist destination it is today.
Click on an image for more                  information.
About Landsborough
Glasshouse Country
Landsborough    was    named    for    the    British    born    explorer William   Landsborough,   who   was   the   first   European   to   cross Australia    north    to    south.    The    earliest    European    settlers arrived   in   the   area   in   1871.   Originally   called   Mellum   Creek (mellum   is   Aboriginal   for   volcano),   it   dates   from   1871   when Isaac   Burgess   erected   a   slab   hut   with   a   bark   roof   as   "port   of call"   for   the   Cobb   &   Co   coaches   stopping   for   refreshments and   a   change   of   horses   on   their   way   to   and   from   the   Gympie goldfields   to   the   north.   The   Mellum   Creek   Post   Office   opened on   23   January   1881.   It   was   renamed   Landsborough   Post Office in 1890. In   1912,   the   town   became   the   administrative   centre   for   the Landsborough    Shire    after    separating    from    the    Caboolture Shire.   Landsborough   Shire   merged   into   the   City   of   Caloundra in 1968. The     Landsborough     School     of    Arts     Memorial     Hall     was celebrated   with   a   stump   capping   ceremony   on   24   November 1923     involving     Member     of     the     Queensland     Legislative Assembly    for    Murrumba,    Richard    Warren.    The    hall    was officially   opened   on   4   May   1924   by   Queensland   Governor, Matthew Nathan. In   the   past,   Landsborough   was   one   of   the   larger   towns   of   the Sunshine   Coast   hinterland   due   to   its   large   logging   industry. By   comparison,   Caloundra   was   just   a   small   coastal   fishing village   to   its   east,   as   opposed   to   the   large   and   very   popular tourist destination it is today.

About Landsborough